Our widget builder allows you to use buttons to perform many different actions and their combinations on a single click. In the article below, we'll describe default and custom actions and related settings that you can use in your widget's button.
To access your button's settings, click it on a preview when editing widget.
Button Type #
Type of the button defines its basic function and controlled by the relevant switch:
- Submit -- button type that by default submits form data sending it to Convertful contact list and performs 'On Submit Actions'.
- Close -- closes widget after performing 'On Click Actions'.
- Link -- allows to set up a redirect to custom URL and perform it after the 'On Click Actions'.
- Custom -- fully customizable button type, intended to perform 'On Click Actions' only.
Adding Actions #
For each button type, you can add actions. Just press the relevant button 'On Submit/Click Actions' and press the 'Add Automation' to choose a relevant action from the list:
Convertful Actions #
A list of actions provided by Convertful built-in functionality, which includes:
- Go to a widget screen -- allows to switch widget to its certain screen (callout, offer, thank you) on click.
- Go to URL -- allows to set up a redirect to perform on click.
- Go to URL and send data -- allows redirecting to the specified URL and performs a POST or GET request, based on the specified variables.
- Send email notification -- allows sending email notification about new subscriber to the specified email on click.
- Open a widget -- allows opening another Convertful widget on click.
To learn details on how to use each action - see the Actions Tutorial section below.
Integration-Related Actions #
A list of actions provided by connected integrations with e-marketing services. Depending on the integration, this list could provide multiple actions or a single 'default' action:
- Multiple actions example (MailChimp):
- Single action example (MailUp):
To learn more about the actions provided by the integration you use, check this integration's page.
Using Multiple Actions #
You can use any combinations of actions you need, combining different action types (Convertful and integration-related actions). Actions will be performed in a sequence you add/place them, from top to bottom:
Actions Tutorial #
Go to a widget screen #
Action allowing you to switch widget to a certain screen, specified via the dropdown list:
Go to URL #
Action allowing you to redirect a visitor to another URL. Note, that this redirect always happens in the same browser window.
Go to URL and send data #
Action allowing you to form a list of variables and their values to be used on the redirect URL. Square brackets are marking dynamic values (values typed inside input fields or dynamically gathered during the browsing session via cookies):
A switcher between 'Use POST' and 'Use GET' defines how variables data will be used:
This option will first redirect to the specified URL and then perform the HTTP POST request formed from the variables and their values:
This option will add variables and their values as URL GET parameters to the redirect URL in the similar format:
Send email notification #
Action allowing to send email notification about new leads to an email that was already connected to your site (registration email) or by adding a new one. Note, that before connecting a new email address, you'll need to enter verification code from the email we'll send on it.
Open a widget #
Action allowing to open another Convertful widget (specified via the dropdown list) on click. Note, that only active widgets will be displayed in this list.
Action allowing to run custom JS code. You can use it to track events for Google Analytics and similar scripts:
You can also use this action to read form fields data submitted by the subscriber via special variable:
which get form data in a format:
For example, you can use it to add form fields data to browsers console log, like this:
Or add this data to Google Tag Manager's data layer like this: